Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fandango Flagging



Thursday May 20 2010

We went out to mark some of the trails for the 3-day Owyhee Fandango ride May 28-30. You'll see some of this if you do Day One.


Holy Moly - it wasn't deer, it was big horn sheep! I've only rarely seen these, and never here - they are usually 2 drainages further east. You'll be real lucky if you see these!


(We also saw a deer, 2 lone pronghorns, a nice brown snake, a red-tailed hawk nest, ravens.)

Picking a trail through the brush, heading to the Rock Corral.




The flowers are pretty outrageous in the desert right now - lupine, bitterbrush, Indian paintbrush, biscuitroot, buckwheat, daisies, phlox, aster, and others I don't know. The blooming bitterbrush and the lupine smell so sweet.






Mac was a bit frantic on his own, but Rhett is coming now!




Don't want to get off to tie a ribbon here.


Boot malfunction!




We had several boot malfunctions! This was on a steep slope that I almost fell down on while trying to remove the hanging boot - fortunately Mac just stood there and didn't move!

Hart Creek drainage, looking toward the Owyhee mountains.


Coming down into an old homestead.


Steph points the way.


Mac and Rhett have a discussion.


I found a Raven feather!


There's a crazy amount of grass, too.




Back into the home creek after 7 hours of marking trail.


A good day in Owyhee! Come see it at the Owyhee Fandango in southern Idaho end of May.


More photos of the Alder Creek loop here

2 comments:

  1. You know Merri...when I do get my TRUCK( and it may be soon) I AM going to come ride with you there...I was so cracking up with the ribbon markers..and having to bend over so far! I pick a "branch" higher than the motor cycles can reach!

    Would you have a place for the mare and I should I come over? I must learn how to travel long distance..where to stop and such.
    KK
    PS
    ONLY 3 DAYS TILL Wa mare gets EASY WALKER SHOES!
    ( I noted the boots fliping all over for you '-')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buena caminata os dais por esos campos, con una flora espectacular en estos tiempos. Los cirervos, que habeis visto parecen muflones.

    ReplyDelete