Friday, April 27, 2012

Freak Goes for Record 20 in a Row



image from Blackcaviar.net.au

Friday April 27 2012

Black Caviar, the Australian sensation, will run Saturday (that's Friday night, US time) at Morphettville in Adelaide, Australia, in the 1200-meter Group I Sportingbet Classic, seeking her 20th victory in a row. She's currently tied with Australia's with Desert Gold and Gloaming at 19 consecutive wins. She's only 5 years old.

She had a short break since her last race February 18; she had a 'jump-out' at Caulfield on April 17, an unofficial work as a simulated race of 800 meters out of the gate against several horses, where she 'won' by 8 lengths.

Black Caviar has been called 'the world's fastest racehorse', 'the best sprinter in the world', 'the number one rated sprinter of all time', 'the mighty mare', and a 'freak,' and who can argue with that?

While Trainer Peter Moody will see how she comes out of this race, he's already looking ahead to her next possible race at Adelaide in the Group I Goodwood, which would be her last start in Australia before heading to England to run in the Group I Diamond Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot on June 23, and at Newmarket in July. It is hoped that she will meet the sensational unbeaten European champion, and world's top-ranked Thoroughbred Frankel there (he's nine for nine), but at this point it looks unlikely.

Really, I'm done with horse racing, and it still makes me hold my breath if I ever watch a race live, but some horses just grab your attention and reel you in for one more taste of Sensational. Black Caviar is one of those!

5 comments:

  1. I have so many issues with racing and then I go all clammy when I see someone like this or Zenyatta run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she doesn't break down. That seems like a lot of races.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryanne, you put it exactly right, and English Rider, that's why I always hold my breath watching a race live, Kind of half excitement, half terror. Seems like they are running her a lot, but hopefully the trainer knows her intimately and knows exactly what he's doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never used to worry when I watched a race, but knowledge is a dangerous thing and now, like you, I hold my breath--not just to see the winner, but to be sure every horse finishes safely.

    But a horse like Black Caviar does attract my attention. She is indeed amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like a very special horse. I don't usually follow racing, but this horse is worthy of notice.

    ReplyDelete