Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bye Bye Ben



Tuesday April 12 2011

He's a kind soul.

He came here for the September 5-day Owyhee Canyonlands ride, but when his owner Brian was seriously injured (on another horse), Ben stayed here.


He really looked bewildered the first week - enough that I felt I had to explain to him what happened. I actually told him in human words, "Brian got hurt, it's not your fault. He left you here to stay with us for a while. We'll take care of you." I think he understood me because I swear the baffled look faded away.


He never really fit into the Owyhee herd - always stood on the outer edges, waiting to get to the hay after everybody else had wandered off. He always came up to me to sniff my hands, to get a pet, to listen to words. I always stopped to give them to him.


Brian spent the next 6 months recuperating, deciding if he wanted to keep Ben or not. Brian put Ben up for sale. Someone snapped him up. He's leaving today with Jeff.

Jeff comes to the Owyhee endurance rides, so I'll likely get to see Ben again. I left a message that buying Ben comes with visitation rights for me.

So long Ben, happy trails.

17 comments:

  1. that was very bittersweet. I hope his life with Jeff works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Ben has found a permanent and loving home with Jeff. He sounds like a wonderful horse who deserves the best. It must be hard to see him go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor bewildered Ben. I'm glad he found a home, but I'm sorry Brian didn't come back from him. Hope this isn't the last we see of the handsome fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and a sweet story. It will be great that you can continue to see Ben. Sad that Brian had to sell him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it me, or is he missing legs in the last pic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camouflaged white front legs, back legs hidden behind a little hill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is a pretty boy, hope you do get to see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like such a sweetie. I am sure you will miss him, but here's hoping Jeff and he hit it off to a great partnership and Ben once again finds his "place" in the world.

    Do keep us posted if you hear news of him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He has "orbs" in his 4th pic...these are awesome...angels maybe???

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty horse. He looks sweet. I hope he found a happy home of his own--being a guest can wear pretty thin after a while.... Mary K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful horse. I'm so sorry his owner was hurt and I hope his new life is a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope Ben lands in good company. Nothing sadder than a "loner" horse.

    PS: posted a coupla pics of "Evermore" today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Jeff and Ben make a good team. That last photo is awesome. He's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben is gorgeous! I feel sorry for Brian. I am familiar with the difficult situation and decisions he's had to make after such a serious injury.
    I hope Ben finally has a long term home with Jeff where he can fit in. Sounds like you took wonderful care of him and bonded.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Red horses are special, they do know what you say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, hope Ben found a really special home :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet horse. Sad his owner had to let him go and I hope his new home is good. That's great he will be able to come visit!

    ReplyDelete