Saturday, August 6, 2011

The Old Man Ride



Saturday August 6 2011

The Old Man Ride

We took the old men out for a ride today: 21-year-old Krusty, Steph's half Orlov Trotter ('and half mostly arabian, a little thoroughbred'), and 20-year-old Stormy, my Thoroughbred ex-racehorse.

We ambled up onto the rim on John's trail, heading toward the Owyhee mountains on a warm sunny day, and came back on the ridge on Steph's trail, into the summer breeze.


Krusty's been around the block a time or two - as in, he's done over 3300 miles of endurance over 12 seasons, and in his younger days he competed in a World Endurance Championship in France and the Dubai World Cup in the UAE. Stormy's been around the block a time or two - as in, he was a racehorse for 5 years, winning 6 times and finishing 2nd 9 times and earning over $45,000 during his career. They've both had bouts with navicular, but today they felt great.

And today they're both semi-retired beloved pets. Krusty's job now is to take out beginners and those with a lack of confidence on the trails. He's restored riding courage back into a rider or two. Stormy's job is to mow the lawn (his favorite) and to go out on the occasional leg-stretching ride. He took my niece on her first horse ride ever.

They're gentle old souls, and we pretty much let them do what they want on a ride.


When they want to trot, we let them. When they want to walk, we let them. When they want to take a particular trail home, we let them.

Stormy likes to walk along with his nose to the ground at places, sniffing like a bloodhound, so I let him.


Stormy likes to stop for a treat, so I give him one.


They're good old men, good for some relaxing, easy rides, some spoiling, and some good memories.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, trustworthy and steedfast..Proven, old horses are the best!!! Wonderful ride!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kind of rides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is little better than a wise old horse under you. Gotta love 'em, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same with my 21 year old Arab. I go at his pace, and that's okay with both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this, I too like to take my old men out for a walk now and then. One can't be ridden anymore and the other just plain doesn't want to, that okay I just take them for a walk. They seem to like it, no stress just a stretch of the their 8legs and my 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I enjoy riding my younger boys, but, every once in a while, I like to take the old man for a spin too. He will always be first in my heart.

    ReplyDelete