September 6 2026
Neither Willie nor I were tempted to do a 50 today (much less the 100 that our pasture mate DWA Papillon and Connie were attempting), so we slept in and saddled up for the LD.
I gave Willie a good walk-about warm up for 15 minutes before the start, and scouted out our competition. Not to see who we could beat, but to see who we might ride with, or, any hot horses we might avoid, as I just wanted, as always, an easy fun ride with no Rocket Pony beneath me to have to apply brakes to for 25 miles.
Nobody looked to be in a big rush anyway, with half the 12 starters standing around talking. Willie was a bit amped, but completely controllable, though I was glad I stuck with his Kemberwick bit and not his jaquima halter sidepull. On our walkabout we met Two Step Betty LTH with Jessica aboard; Betty pinned her ears at Willie, and Jessica laughed. “She hates everybody.”
And once the trail was open, a couple of riders took off, and we ended up walking out beside Betty and Jessica (with plenty of space in between). Betty wasn’t in a big hurry, just off on another day of endurance business, and Willie wasn’t in a big hurry, so we sort of headed out together. Once we crossed the creek and the road and started out on a two-track logging road, Betty was trotting ahead of us and going exactly the pace I wanted for Willie, which he was completely agreeable to. He had his head bowed to his chest, looking all macho and powerful, but he wasn’t pulling on the reins at all. I think Phinneas (RIP) taught Willie to do this, because it makes a horse look like a magnificent racehorse galloping on the track.
Jessica said we could try riding with Betty, I said we’ll stay back, and if Betty gets mad, we will let you go ahead! We gave Betty plenty of space, which one should do anyway, and not ride up another horse’s butt, for so many reasons. I’m going to write an article on that one day, called “Get Off My A$$.”
But Betty was tolerating us, and our two horses paced really well together. Jessica is a rather amazing human being, not only for being an ICU nurse, but for being a heart transplant patient. For all she’s been through, she’s full of “joy, adventure, and gratitude.” (Read her story https://www.fiacardiac.org/updates/back-in-the-saddle-with-a-new-heart here.)
And Two Step Betty is her own story, a National Show Horse who was a rescue by Vera Kalila’s Love This Horse Equine Rescue in Tehachapi, California. Vera said about Betty in 2024: “The amazing thing about Betty is that she has been rejected and dumped so many times in her life. People misunderstand this mare. She is sweet to the core and has a heart. She loves being out on the trail… We rescued Betty at a loose horse auction in Billings, MT.”
Jessica and her mom Veronica adopted Betty, and despite Betty’s quirks (like hating all horses, even her pasture mates), Jessica loves her and has given Betty a home for life.
And despite her dislike of other horses, Betty not only tolerated Willie, but allowed him to trot up almost beside her at times. She pinned her ears spectacularly, but she sometimes let Willie stay there!
Betty likes Willie close
Betty does not like Willie close
By the time we finished loop one and strolled into camp, our horses were already pulsed down to the required 60 bpm. During the vet check, Willie ate the entire 40 minutes, maybe the best eating he’d ever done before.
Willie got to wear his jaquima halter side pull on loop 2. We met up with Jessica and Betty and headed out on our last loop. He could have worn it on loop 1, but I never know if I’m going to need powerful brakes or not, and if you leave camp without the bridle you need, well… good luck!
Neither Willie nor Betty drank on the first 16 mile loop (that’s normal for Willie), but on the second loop they drank from every water trough. After Betty took a good drink from the first trough, Jessica broke off and gave Betty a bite of carrot. Willie heard that Carrot Snap, and kind of horned his way over to Jessica’s saddle bag, innocently blinking his big brown eyes, so he mooched a carrot bite too. After every water trough thereafter, Willie sidled his way over to Jessica, expecting a treat from her! (Which she gave!)
Our horses easily cruised the 9 miles of loop 2, stopping only twice when we came across first one Renegade boot that had come off a horse, and then the other boot! We each rescued and carried a stinky boot in with us to the finish line.
With no racing, just an easy calm ride, we finished up in third and fourth. (That was Betty’s third day of LDs.) Willie and I showed for Best Condition, because we could, and Willie ended up with High Vet Score!
It was another super fun Old Selam ride, great trails, cool weather (!!!), and good peeps. It’s put on by our local SWITnDR club (SouthWest Idaho Trail and Distance Riders). I posted thanks on my FB page, but it all bears repeating here:
I know I will forget somebody, but, THANK YOU 😍 to all the SWITnDR (SouthWest Idaho Trail and Distance Riders) volunteers, before during and after the 3-day ride near Idaho City (with a 100 on day 3!), who helped put on this club ride. I hardly saw ride manager Debbie and trail marking Linda the whole weekend because they were constantly out on trail. Thank you to all who came out the week(s) before, and after, for marking and unmarking trail, and for those who came out for a day or the whole weekend for timing or pulsing, thank you too! Some of you I only got to say Hi to. Thanks Ann for your homemade cookies for us 'special' people 😀. Water troughs were at just the right places all over the trails (John and Carl I’m talking at you). Thank you Cini for being a member of our club and letting us have Ridecamp on your family’s property again! Thanks to Regina and to the vets, Robert and Cassie and we recruited and addicted a new vet Mikaela!
Also thanks to XG Smokehouse from Nampa who made the trip out for the weekend, their food is yummy and they worked tirelessly to keep us hungry monsters fed.
And thanks to Steve Bradley for taking the time to come out and stay and shoot all 3 days of the ride. And don’t forget the entertaining Samuel Anderson from the Old Idaho Penitentiary who came again to tell the story of our ride namesake Old Selam and a couple of other famous Idaho horses and outlaws on Saturday (check out their Behind Gray Walls podcast), and Cowgirl Poet Kathy Moss who entertained us with her poetry Sunday morning.








No comments:
Post a Comment