Thursday, August 8, 2013

2013 City of Rocks Day 2


Thursday August 8 2013

Day 2 was my first 50 mile ride on Bodie. It was a most interesting day to say the least.

The first 5 miles were, well, 5 miles I would rather have skipped. Bodie was on another planet. Linda (riding Tex with us) said I was riding 4 different horses. It sure felt like I was riding 4 different horses doing 4 different things at the same time. I did manage to stay on.

We eventually got through that and I was finally back on the real Bodie.

Then on loop 3, Linda got sick. So sick she had to be rescued by some people in a truck. I ponied her horse for 8 miles back to camp. We got caught in a thunderstorm, and most of you know how scared I am of lightning. And I discovered Bodie is afraid of thunder. It was exciting for a while! We hunkered down with our butts to the wind with 2 other riders, Sandy and Kaylee (thank you guys for waiting for me!!)

The rest of the ride/ponying went well, and Bodie actually finished in 7th place. Here are some photos of the most interesting day!


Bodie and Tex up on top of this steep-*ss hill that Linda made me get off and walk up leading my horse. (Actually she didn't make me; she said she was going to get off and walk, so I did too!)


One of the lovely trails in the Raft river mountains.


Tex and Bodie sharing a bucket of feed at the first vet check


Bodie and Tex with their butts turned to the howling wind and pounding rain.

More to come!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on coming in 7th. It does sound like a very interesting day to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two of them sharing that bucket cracked me right up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one tough cookie! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7th place is a darn good finish considering all that happened. That thunderstorm would have scared the heck out of me too.

    Hope Linda is feeling better. Sending good wishes her way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you didn't die in the lightning. I think I would have been more scared to pony though! Not my strong suit. You are a good friend and I hope Linda is feeling better. Uggggg.....

    ReplyDelete