Saturday, October 12, 2024

Hillbillie Willie and the Last of the Autumn Suns

October 12 2024

Normally I shoot the 3-day Autumn Sun Endurance ride in Gooding, Idaho, but this time I wanted to shoot days 1 and 3 (and RM Jessica’s dad would shoot day 2) and ride Hillbillie Willie on day 2 on the 55-miler. He was fit and hot and ready to roll, and he could use another ride after his 3 days of LDs at Old Selam five weeks earlier.

However. It would just be Willie’s second solo voyage to an endurance ride. He’s not a great ride-camper anyway (always messing and getting into stuff), but, going solo….. I apologized to everybody at the ride beforehand (if you didn’t hear me) because Willie was going to be VOCAL, calling for his BFF DWA Barack all days and nights.

We parked right next to Shyla and her Thoroughbred mare Nya, and mare mule Sadie, and Willie made instant fast friends, especially with his new BFF girlfriend mule, although he kept up his whinnies for at least 48 hours, just in case Barack was within earshot.

Ever since Willie’s meltdown at the start of Eagle Canyon in April, our first ride of the season (after 7 seasons!!!!!), I’ve since been a little nervous about starting rides on him. Although he’s steadily been improving this year. But you just never know. At Old Selam we had 3 days in a row of calm starts. But here he’d be without his buddies all weekend, so…….

Autumn Sun is not a hard ride. It’s a rocky ride. There are places you have to walk, places where you can move out as fast as you want, and places you could move out but be careful and be ready to slow down. We’d have a big climb on loop 2, but the rest is mostly flat, gentle hills.

It was chilly Saturday morning as we saddled up, so I hand walked Willie around camp with 15 minutes to start time. At 5 minutes till, I climbed aboard. He was still a bit amped, but good. He wanted to go already. Only 4 other riders were ready to start; nobody else was even in sight. I’d thought maybe I’d ride with Kristen and Chancey, Sara and JoJo, but I didn’t even see them saddling up when we walked around camp. Maybe they’d decided to do the LD instead.


When ride manager Jessica yelled “Trail’s open!” at 7:30…… nobody went. *I* did not want to go out first. I wanted to drift in after other riders, with a little bubble. Love the Bubble.

Stevie and Sonic, Alex and Alexander Hamilton went out first. Two other ladies went out next, so I fell in a bit behind them. But Willie was so amped he wasn’t going to keep a space there, and he was starting to irritate one of the horses, so we went on past them. But we didn’t have quite enough of a gap from Stevie and Alex ahead of us, so, I had the anchor hold on Willie. He kept to a trot, but he would have preferred to go a hundred miles faster.

Only a half mile or so out of camp, the two-track followed a rocky trail, so we had to slow to a walk. Willie watched his feet but boy was it a fast walk. Back onto a two track road, the trail quickly made a sharp left turn back onto another trail. Stevie and Alex had missed it. Dang. That put me and Willie in front where I didn’t want to be. I hollered at the girls to turn around and fortunately they heard me.


It was a super rocky stretch of cow trails, and super sparse ribbons because the dang cows ate them, again and again, after Jessica and crew kept putting more out. I kept a sharp eye out for hanging ribbons, ribbons on the ground, and shreds of ribbons that the cows forgot to swallow. Willie was fabulous about watching his footing, and he wasn’t amped anymore, just forward, ready to move out!


We finally made it out of that rocky-snot section, passing Wally who took our picture, then out on a smooth two-track road where we were able to move out at a smart trot. Willie was happy to be cruising along the sagebrush desert. After 10 miles or so, we had a little detour to a stock tank, where I was so happy Willie dunked his head in and took a big drink. Yay! Off we went.



After another 5 miles or so, a pair of riders were coming up behind us. It was Kristen and Chancey, Sara and JoJo. No, they had not changed their mind to do the LD, they woke up at 7:27 AM, scrambled up and out, threw their saddles on and took off after all the other 5 of us had long gone!


We rode together for miles. It was nice to have the younger girls get off and get the gates off their shorter horses. :)  Also, it was nice at one gate that Kristen opened, that I was able to peel my fleece jacket off, and turn my backwards shirt around. I had wondered why my shirt pocket seemed to be around on my back, and why my shirt was so tight around my neck. What can I say, it was cold and I dressed under my sleeping bag with just a flashlight so I kinda got the shirt put on the wrong way.

Willie had a fun time with his new BFFs, trotting, pacing, cantering, and we girls yakked and the horses eyeballed each other as the miles went by. About 8 miles or so from camp, Kristen looked back and saw dust from two riders in the distance behind us. “Let’s go!” She said, and Chancey and JoJo shot off, and Willie stayed with his new BFFs, and yeehaw, the ground flew under us faster and faster, as the canters became gallops which became sprints. I let Willie do his thing, and his trot became a canter became a pace which switched to a racing pace (!), and ohmygod we were going fast. And then he lowered his body down and he switched to a higher gear and OHMIGOD I have never ridden that horse that fast! He was back in a race on the racetrack and he was FLYING, he was going so fast he was not wobbling back and forth but very smooth, it was fun and exciting and thrilling and then it was just getting too fast too much for me, with some rocky sections coming up on the road and I said, “Eeeeeeasy Willie, let’s slow down here!”

He would have rather gone on that fast but he consented to slowing down, let his little human come back down to earth, and I had to catch my breath more than he did because that was so insane!


I had to dismount for a gate (Kristen and Sara were long gone!), and that gave us a nice Bubble again. So we cruised the last few miles solo at a nice trot (or walk through a rocky dry wash), and by the time we reached camp, Willie had already pulsed down to 56.

He didn’t whinny once for anybody in camp, instead he chowed down on alfalfa in the middle of the vet check, then ate the rest of his hour hold in his pen, not even worrying about his mule girlfriend who was gone out on the 25-mile ride.


Stevie and Alex had arrived a few minutes after Willie and me, and when Alex and Alexander unfortunately got pulled, Stevie and I decided to do the last loop together. Our first part of loop 2 was a long climb up into the hills, our horses cruising companionably along, Stevie and I occasionally talking, often just silent and riding and enjoying being out in the desert on our horses. We had the same ideas of riding, moving out on the good ground and the gentle hills, getting off and walking the downhills, walking the few steep uphills, giving our horses time at the water troughs for good deep drinks (yay! Drink up!), eating alfalfa from the bags that RM Jessica left for snacks. The hay tasted way better when Stevie hand-fed Sonic and Willie.


We tied for third at the finish, and Willie ended up with High Vet Score again, yay Willie!

He was just happy he’d made yet another BFF with Sonic, and when I finally put him back in his pen, his BFF mule Sadie was back from finishing her second LD, and he could rest and gaze at her lovely big ears 5 feet away from him. (I don’t think Sadie was quite as impressed with Willie.)

Willie was tired enough after his ride that he didn’t make one peep that night, nor the next day until about mid-afternoon. :)

I’m so glad we got to ride this last Autumn Sun ride, so glad Willie survived his second solo ride camp and made soooo many new BFFs, so glad I have a horse who is enthusiastic riding alone and in company, so enjoyed riding solo, and with Kristen and Sara and Stevie, and so proud of my Standardbred!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Isn't is AMAZING to ride that pace? I always feel like I need an extra O2 tank. :-)

    ReplyDelete