Sunday, July 3, 2011

Paean For Quincy



Sunday July 3 2011

She was a kind and gentle soul - unless someone caught a rabbit, in which case she became a Demoness and took command of it, and it was HERS! Everybody knew not to mess with her then.

She was always happy. Sometimes she happily barked for hours, trying to get the dunce she was barking at - or any dunce - to throw a rock for her. ("Come on, just throw the rock! It's right there") Once at an endurance ride here, she parked herself in front of Henry of Griffin's Tack, who was sitting in his chair outside his store tent, and barked happily for hours at him. He'd probably turned off his hearing aid so he couldn't hear her, but she happily carried on barking, bark-bark-bark-bark-throw-the-rock-bark-bark bark-bark-bark-bark-throw-the-rock-bark-bark and Henry happily sat there in peaceful silence not listening to her.

She was the best Rock Carrying Dog (she always picked one up and carried it when she hiked - some as big as her head, some so big she could barely hold her head up and she could barely breathe, but she had to have that rock),



the best Rock Collecting Dog, (she loved to deposit rocks in front of the lawn mower when you were trying to mow, and she loved to bring her rocks in the house after she carried them on a hike)(I think she actually ate rocks),


the best Snowball Dog, ("Um - how do I get these things OFF me?")


the best Halloween Dog,



just The Best Dog.

Bye Quincy, Happy Trails and many lucky rabbits feet and good rocks.

Say hi to Zico up there.

25 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about Quincy. She seemed like a real character and I'm sure everyone will miss her unique personality. Find lots of rabbits to chase and bark at and many rocks to add to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sorry for your loss - what a lovely tribute to a fine dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vaya Con Dios, Quincy. I hope her passing was as gentle as a sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about Quincy, I will always fondly remember the time we would spend together on the porch. She was a great "photographers assistant". My condolences to all on her passing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy trails, Quincy.

    Somehow I suspect there are hundreds of perfect rocks up in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry Merri...I'm sure Quincy would have told you it was heaven living with you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is never easy to lose a friend be they animal or human. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, what a special pooch. So sorry for your loss.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Retrievers are the best dogs ever. I'm so sorry to hear the Earth is minus one. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good dog she was! sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cayenne and her human pass on hugs and wet cold noses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, sorry to hear this :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry Merrie :( it's so hard losing a pet :'(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear this. I will miss bringing the bag-o-balls with me to the rides so KaylaBug can throw them for the great catch... You guys will be in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear Quincy family ; I am so so for the loss of your family partner and friend. Please embrace this online hug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about Quincy, I will remember fondly the times we spent together on the porch as riders came in off the trail. Quincy loved to get those long pets too. That tail never stopped wagging and I am sure it is still wagging no matter where she is now. Happy Trails my friend.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Quincy, this makes me so, so sad. I will always remember that sweet girl and all the rocks she brought to me throughout the years. Glad we got one last chance to say goodbye last weekend. She will be greatly missed :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. It doesn't matter that I didn't know Quincy personally; she was a dog and as such, she was a beautiful, furry angel here but for a short time. Many tears and sympathy for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And, I thought she was looking so good last weekend. Glad she had one last endurance ride... We'll miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely and loved, happy and free, will be missed by all. I'm glad I got to pet her soft coat and see her tail wagging.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hugs to you Merri see you on the other side Quincy!! Let play ball!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is so hard to lose these "best friends", they are with us such a short time, she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry for your loss....so painful to lose our dogs. Goldens are the best....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope she's playing with Calvin, my late, lamented aussie. They leave us too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I met Quincy briefly but I have heard of her already, she was the famous rock carrying dog!
    She did have a rock in her mouth when I saw her and a smile on her face!
    I bet her Paradise is a endless mountain of rocks!

    ReplyDelete