Monday, July 25, 2011

Cottonmouth



Monday July 18 2011

As we're driving up Bates Creek, getting home from the Big Horn endurance ride, we're discussing the possibility of a new endurance ride at the City of Rocks that we've just toured, talking about who we'll ride around here tomorrow.

John has called and said he was going up the canyon to fetch the horses since he hadn't seen them yet today.

I'm thinking of feeding Rhett (who's been calling for his dinner every night I've been gone), hugging Jose, and smooching on Stormy.

I jump out of the car with my cameras and wait for the horses to come thundering down to the house in the golden evening light for some fabulous back-home photos... but the only dust I see is John on the ATV.

His face is sober when he arrives.

"The horses are way up the canyon. Sunny's cut her leg bad and Jose's on the other side of the fence." He looks sick.

I feel sick.

John heads for the truck and trailer. Steph heads for the ATV. I grab 3 halters and climb on the ATV with her.

Up the canyon we go, hot wind drying my mouth, bumpy road setting my stomach to churning.

A quarter mile from the end of the canyon, there is the herd. Jose is standing by himself on the other side of the barbed wire fence. Sunny is standing off by herself well away from the fence, but well away from the herd. Steph and I climb off the ATV. She heads to Sunny. I head for Jose.

I can see two old thick fence posts half laying down, 4 strands of barbed wire detached in places and hanging at 4 different dimensions. Somebody had a battle with that barbed wire fence and lost. I feel nauseous. My legs are shaking. I might cry. Please God, not Jose too. I have cottonmouth, tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth, throat painfully dry and cracked.


I first come across my horse Stormy. Stormy knows barbed wire - he once got into it badly enough to spend 8 days at the vet. Thank God he is fine this time.

I get to the fence and Jose next, dreading what I will see, but miraculously, a quick glance tells me he is fine, with not a mark on him. My hands are shaking as I put his halter on and I give him a quick hug. I can't speak to him because my mouth and throat are so parched, but I know he knows how relieved, how grateful I am.

As I start leading him up the canyon to the nearest gate back into the acres with the rest of the herd, we pass closer to Sunny. I can only see her upper legs for the tall sagebrush but there is dried blood and cuts up there. She must have been standing there a long time, maybe all day. I can't see the worst of it, but Steph just says, "It's bad." I almost cry.

I lead Jose back in with the herd. i walk up to Steph and Sunny, wishing time backward, wishing this hadn't happened.

It's bad. Huge gaping gash on the inside front of the left hock. It looks a lot like Finneas' leg when he tried to tear his hind leg off on a fence 4 years ago - only much worse.

John has followed us in the truck and trailer. With Steph leading, and me insisting from behind, we get Sunny loaded in the trailer. Steph and John drive her to the clinic 90 minutes away.


Many hours later, after midnight, they return with an empty trailer. They've left her at the vet. We'll know in the morning if the gash avoided the joint capsule and if it avoided infection. We'll know if she'll make it.

The herd follows the horse trailer back to the house. As Sunny leaves for the vet, I take Jose out to feed him. I give him a fierce hug. I look him in the eye, and I tell him thank you for not getting hurt. He listens, and I know he understands me. I hug Jose, I bury my head in his mane, I hug him, I hug him, and I don't let go for a long while.

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I hope your horse is ok and it hasn't punctured the joint capsule. I know that feeling, that sick to your stomach feeling. Hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, I'm so sorry Merri (and Steph and John!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most sickening feeling in the world when the damage is done and you feel so helpless. Wishing for a good outcome, and sending thoughts of healing your way. ~E.G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! At first I thought you were going to say that one of the horses was bitten by a cotton mouth snake! But the barbed wire can actually be worse!
    Poor Sunny! I hope she's going to be ok and able to heal from her injuries.
    Good Jose for taking care of himself and for being there for you when you needed a hug.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally with you . . .

    Keep us posted! I feel like I hugged your un-hurt horses with you.

    Well written - though you probably weren't all that concerned about that.

    Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no. I hope Sunny will be okay, that sounds like a horrible injury. Your stomach must be in knots. Good wishes for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers to all of you and wishing a speedy recovery for Sunny. Bigs hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that horrible feeling too, sending healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! My heart was in my throat as I read this! That feeling is terrifying, best wishes for Sunny and I am sure Jose will stand for more hugs, horses are so good for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for you guys. That is so awful. Sending good healing thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I would have fainted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Read the post above first, so I know Sunny is back home and expected to recover, but what an awful thing to come home to a hurt horse. Sure do hope she recovers completely. I hate, hate, hate barb wire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my God! I was right there with you Merri, Steph and John! What a horrible few hours you had! I had tears with your hugs with Jose, Merri. So glad things turned for the better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merri, I'm so sorry. It is horrible to come home from a ride to find your horses hurt ... believe me I know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry! Sending healing thoughts to Sunny :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big online hug to you and my Teeter family

    ReplyDelete
  17. How scary! Sending prayers to you, John and Steph. I'm going out to hug my horses now too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending prayers for Sunny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear this :( Hoping for a positive update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sending healing energy to Sunny...and lots of love to you, Merri.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sorry about what happened. sending positive thinking from belgium

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I am so sorry that happened. I am hoping she is OK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exceptionally well-written horse owner's nightmare. I know you will keep us informed of the progress and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry, Merri, I'm hoping for good news.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm actually glad I'm behind & missed this post! Much better to see the healing! Barbed wire is one of the WORST things about the west!

    ReplyDelete