Thursday, December 17, 2015

Snow Happy


Thursday December 17 2015

You can see by the picture above that I'm not the only one happy about the snow!

It came all of a sudden yesterday afternoon. One minute it was sunny, the next minute it was snowing, and in 30 minutes the ground was white. Yippee!

I've been turning Dudley out with the herd late mornings - leading them all up past the green gate so they can roam the 200 acres, and calling them back down in the evenings and locking them down at the house on the hay at nights (mostly because of cougar jitters - me, not them).

Some evenings, I can walk out and whistle-yell-whistle-yell, my voice echoing up the canyon if the wind is right, and they'll eventually come down on their own, sometimes sprinting, sometimes strolling. The other day I had to hike all the way up the canyon for them. They very bloody well heard me but gave me the hoof - totally ignored me, and I actually had to drive/chase them all the way back down. 

Yesterday evening in the snowstorm, I wondered if I'd even see the herd. I started hiking up the canyon, not even bothering to holler or whistle because the wind blew the sound right back down my throat.

But miraculously, the herd was already on their way back down. 

I barely caught a glimpse of movement in the sideways-whipping flakes, dark figures making a beeline back home to the hay. Dudley was in front, head down, Orlov trot turned on high, leading the herd on a mission (food!).

Stormy was the trailer. 

It was so snowy and windy, they never saw me, as I merged with sagebrush and rabbitbrush, watching them as they trotted on by.

More snow is supposed to be on the way today.

Dudley and I can only hope!


4 comments:

  1. Glad someone likes the snow. None here with temps hovering in the 50's with some days as high as 70"F. Noticed my roses are totally confused and are sprouting green leaves. They will be in for a shock when winter finally arrives.

    Just goes to show your horses do have some common sense. I'd want to be in the barn in that kind of weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the horses are liking things. Here we're looking at temperatures of 40°C/110°F over the next few days. The cattle are not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky they are to have so much room to roam!
    We have about 16 inches on the ground. The horses love to roll and play in it.

    ReplyDelete